the next head coach? Who are your primary targets?
1. Someone who has a defined offensive system and recruits to that system rather than just attempting to get the best athletes available.
2. Someone who is more of a teacher/strategist than a recruiter.
3. Someone who values basketball fundamentals (dribbling, passing, shooting) over physical attributes.
4. Someone who can balance the carrot and the stick on an individual basis when determining how best to motivate their players.
5. Someone who projects an even emotional keel, who can be both composed and competitive, and whose teams reflect that with their on-court demeanor.
6. Someone whose teams and players show clear development within the course of a season or their college careers.
As I replied to another post on this board, my ideal candidate would be Chris Mooney. I really believe he could do for VT what Bennett is doing at UVA, namely lay the foundation for a long-term, systematic success that does not depend on attempting to out-recruit the traditional ACC powerhouses.
TechSideline.com (a.k.a. TSL) is an independent publication that is in no way affiliated with or sponsored by Virginia Tech or the Virginia Tech Athletic Department. This site is best viewed using Mozilla Firefox or MS Internet Explorer at a video resolution of 1024x768 or higher. For more details, including a list of TechSideline staff, see our Contact Page. All original material and images are copyrighted by TechSideline.com and may not be reused or reprinted without permission.