The “Week In Review” feature, a recap of how Virginia Tech’s recruits performed in the previous week, will be posted weekly throughout the 2012 regular season and through the playoffs. Here is how Tech’s class did this past week…
- Kyle Chung, OL/TE/DL, Ponte Vedra (FL)
Make it three wins in a row for Ponte Vedra, which is 3-1 after defeating Flagler Palm Coast, 28-17. Chung helped pave the way for 177 yards rushing for the Sharks.
- Charles Clark Jr., DB/RB, King’s Fork (Suffolk, VA)
Western Branch ended King’s Fork’s run of four straight wins to start the season, downing the Bulldogs by a score of 56-14.
- Brandon Facyson (CB/WR), Northgate (Newnan, GA)
Facyson and the rest of the Vikings offense couldn’t get on track in a 23-0 loss to Union Grove. Northgate is now 2-3.
- Holland Fisher (S/LB). Manchester (Midlothian, VA)
Manchester (2-2) was idle this past weekend. This Friday night’s contest against Clover Hill will be intriguing, as Fisher attended Clover Hill for two-and-a-half years before transferring to Manchester.
- Kendall Fuller, CB/WR, Good Counsel (Olney, MD)
The Falcons (4-1) were on a bye. They’ll return to the field this week against WCAC-rival DeMatha.
Salem was bested by Ocean Lakes, 21-15, to fall to 4-1 on the year. Hodges turned in a big-time performance in defeat, totaling 391 yards of offense (267 passing and 124 rushing) and two touchdowns. He completed 19 of 36 passes on the night.
- Cequan Jefferson, CB, Henrico (VA)
Henrico is now 0-4 after this past week’s 59-34 loss to Atlee.
- Jameion Moss, LB, Northeastern (Elizabeth City, N.C.)
Northeastern defeated Bertie, 48-12, to move to 6-1 on the season.
Hampton (4-1) cruised to a 42-0 win over Denbigh. Junior running back Marshawn Williams had a big effort, churning out 133 yards and five touchdowns on 26 carries. Newsome completed 10-of-13 passes for 126 yards and a pick.
- Parker Osterloh, OL, Warhill (Williamsburg, VA)
Warhill lost big to Bruton, 40-8. The Lions (3-2) will look to rebound this Friday night against Lafayette.
- Carlis Parker, QB, Statesville (N.C.)
Parker remains on the sideline while recovering from a knee injury. Statesville (6-1) got the win this past week, though, defeating Carson by a score of 56-13.
- Braxton Pfaff, OL, Liberty Christian Academy (Lynchburg, VA)
LCA soundly defeated Perry Traditional Academy of Pittsburgh (PA) by a score of 49-7. The Bulldogs improve to 4-1. They have a bye week this week before meeting a tough Fork Union Prep squad on October 12.
- David Prince, ATH, Patrick Henry (Roanoke, VA)
Patrick Henry (5-0) was idle last week. This Friday night, the Patriots will face a 4-2 George Washington squad in an important district match-up.
- DJ Reid, ATH, Thomas Dale (Chester, VA)
Reid celebrated his recent commitment to Virginia Tech by rushing for 152 yards and a score in Thomas Dale’s 34-7 win over Matoaca. This is the Knights’ second win in a row, and the team is now 2-2.
- Anthony Shegog, S/ATH, North Stafford (Stafford, VA)
Shegog and the rest of the Wolverines defense held Colonial Forge to just seven points. The offense couldn’t muster anything, though, and North Stafford lost 7-0. It was the Wolverines’ (4-1) first loss of the season.
Shegog had a forced fumble and one catch for 11 yards.
- Wyatt Teller, DL/OL, Liberty (Bealeton, VA)
Liberty (3-2) was idle.
VT’s Class of 2014
- Xavier Burke, DL/TE, Brunswick County (Lawrenceville, VA)
Brunswick lost a tough one to Gretna, 29-28, and is now 1-4 on the season.
- Javon Harrison, ATH, Kathleen (Lakeland, FL)
Harrison returned the opening kick-off 95 yards for a score in Kathleen’s 35-10 victory over Haines City. Kathleen is 3-2.
- Vinny Mihota, DE/OL, Massaponax (Fredericksburg, VA)
After suffering two straight losses, Massaponax had a bye. Mihota and company will look to end their losing skid this Friday night against Orange.
PREVIOUS COLUMNS, THE 2012 SEASON…
Week One, August 27
Week Two, September 3
Week Three, September 10
Week Four, September 17
Week Five, September 24